St Vincent de Paul is one of the longest serving social charities in Louisville. We are located in the up-and-coming Shelby Park neighborhood. Through our homeless shelters, supportive housing programs, professional case management services, and retail thrift stores, we provide compassion and hope for people struggling to overcome barriers to self-sufficiency.
St Vincent de Paul seeks a Peer Support Specialist for our Youth Homeless Shelter (Waypoint House).
*This postion works 2nd shift: 4:00 pm - 12:30 am and pays $13-$14 per hour.
The Peer Support Specialist is a person with "lived experience" who has been trained to support those who may be struggling with mental health issues, psychological trauma, substance use and/or homelessness. Their personal experience of these or similar challenges provides them with an expertise that professional training cannot.
The PSS serves by assisting their peers in articulating their goals for recovery, learning and practicing new skills, helping them monitor their progress, supporting them in their treatment, modeling effective coping techniques and self-help strategies based on the specialist's own recovery experience, supporting them in advocating for themselves to obtain effective services, and developing and implementing recovery plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists Clients in the development of a self-sufficiency plan
- Provides education with a focus on recovery, illness management and peer support
- Provides case management, resourcing, and service coordination as an extension of case management services
- Assists in facilitating small peer support groups, events and programs
- Provides support and encouragement to help clients strengthen life skills and recovery
- Assists in training peer mentors on providing peer support services
- Accompanies street outreach team to provide peer support for clients served at street outreach sites
- Conducts home visits to clients receiving permanent supportive housing to provide life skills training and peer support, and to complete assessments of client needs
- Assists in the process of determining appropriate matches between peer mentors and recipients of mentoring services
- Other duties as assigned
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to lead, inspire and motivate others
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal, especially listening skills
- Computer and Microsoft literate
- Minimum 2 years sober or 1 year out of SVDP programs, if former client
- Commitment to the mission and goals of St Vincent de Paul
Education, Qualifications, Certifications, Trainings, Licenses:
- High School Graduate or above; Associates degree preferred
- Peer Support Certification is required
- A combination of education, training and experience that results in demonstrated proficiency to perform the work may be substituted
- Relevant work experience with individuals, families and children in a social work environment or related field including individual/family counseling, community organization, education or youth advocacy
- Successfully pass required pre-employment background and drug screening
- Valid Driver’s License